Code That Made Me Cry, #CTMMC™

95% of all code makes me cry. The other 5% are white space.

Operator Overloading (Scala, #32 / 50)

(children :\ 0) (_.size + _)

// is equivalent to
children.foldRight(0)(_.size + _)

// and is also equivalent to
children.foldRight(0)((a,b) => a.size + b)        

After our collective minds have finally gotten rid of C++ and Perl, here come the Scala guys and treat us to beautifully cryptic operators all over the place. Because really, the new 'paid by the number of lines of code' is 'paid by the number of special characters

(We know, it's not overloading, it's symbolic method names. It reads just the same)


comments powered by Disqus

Submit your own Code That Made You Cry

Send us your own example of code that made you cry! Please include:

Send the above to All accepted submissions will be licensed as CC BY-SA 3.0. Submit only code of a compatible license.

Note that we may choose not to publish some submissions if we feel they're not appropriate. We hope you understand.

Don't let your SQL code make you cry!

Use jOOQ, instead of JDBC.

jOOQ generates Java code from your database and lets you build typesafe SQL queries through its fluent API.

Don't let your SQL code make you cry! Get back in control of your SQL with jOOQ.